Source of the chlorine in your drinking water

Chlorine is added to your drinking water by law as a disinfectant as a final stage before it leaves the water treatment works. It is typically present at levels between 0.3 to 0.7 mg/l.  When high levels of organic compounds are present in the source water, it can react to form trihalomethanes (THM's) which are harmful to health though levels of these are very closely monitored by water companies

Taste and other issues to do with chlorine

Many people are sensitive to the taste of chlorine and prefer water that has been dechlorinated.  Water in contact with reverse osmosis membranes also needs to be dechlorinated 

How to remove chlorine from water

There are three main ways in which chlorine can be removed from drinking water

  1. Allow it to dissipate naturally by allowing the water to stand for 72 hours or more
  2. Add chemicals such as sodium bisulphite or sodium thiosulphate although overdose of these agents can cause deoxygenation of the water
  3. Pass it through an activated carbon filter with intimate contact lasting 2 minutes


Please let us have your FAQ's